468x60_start_button_weil

Green Smoke

Saturday, November 20, 2010

What are the symptoms of liver cirrhosis how did I get there and how did I feel? Part 4.



More symptoms of the liver transplant patient.  In March I began to feel better, which allowed me to travel to the many required AA, and Group Therapy Sessions – a requirement of being accepted on the liver transplant list.  I also went to OSU for follow up visits, which my wife drove me to because I was not quite ready to drive longer distances. I was also experiencing concentration and balance problems caused by the liver condition.  The concentration and balance issues were caused by ammonia buildup in my system and my weakened condition.  If anyone else can help answer the reasons for the symptoms, your comments are more than welcome.  Anyway, back to the symptoms.   My ability to problem solve and think logically was all but gone for a while.  Again, toxic build up of agents that the liver could not readily handle and part of the disease.  As a matter of fact, everything was in slow motion for me.  Not a fun high at all.  When I tried to type emails or something, my fingers were definitely not communicating with my brain, and I kept losing my train of thought.  I would sometimes take up to half an hour just to type a little 100 word paragraph.  A real bummer.  Since my platelet count was very low in the 70,000 range, where the normal range begins at 150,000, I bled very easy.  I also experienced frequent nose bleeds, bleeding gums and a bleeding rectum, which is no fun. I found that I was bruising very easily too, a result of the condition.  I think most of it was from the high bilirubin levels in my blood.  Bilirubin is a bi-product of discarded blood cells that is mostly filtered through the liver.  When that job does not get done easy bruising occurs.  It is also responsible for the orangeish color of your urine, which is abnormal.  It also makes your fecal material brown, which is normal. Since, I have abstained from alcohol for almost a year, a lot of the symptoms have subsided.  I still have some minor bleeding issues and need a nap just about everyday to charge my batteries for my energy and stamina levels.  I am definitely not 100%, but I can function daily, do some yard work and minor chores, and even mow the lawn, and yes, I can once again concentrate.  My brain is back!  I definitely thank God for each day that I am around.  Stay tuned, as there is more informative information in the next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment